The story of Gwynedd-Mercy College (GMC) begins in 1831 with the founding of the Sisters of Mercy in Dublin, Ireland, by Catherine McAuley. The order came to Philadelphia in 1861 and to Gwynedd Valley in 1947 with a vision of establishing a junior college. In 1963, GMC became a four-year institution. Gwynedd-Mercy College captures the continuing traditions and values of the Sisters of Mercy, the history of the campus property and surrounding community, and the junior college years, while documenting the continuing growth of the college. Today GMC is a coeducational, fully accredited master's level institution offering certificate programs and associate, baccalaureate, and graduate degrees in business, arts and science, education, nursing, and allied health professions.